12.2.09

This title was going to have to due with Flash Photography and Live Music, but it is now titled "FUCK YOU BLOGGER LAYOUT. You're a fucking retard."




When I was on tour, just learning how to use a digital SLR,  my friend Ryan would challange me into taking photos of our opening band Bloom. In theory, this was simple. The singer would wear all white, and bounce around the stage. All I had to do was open up the flash on my camera, auto focus my stock camera lens, and shoot!
After a pretty short amount of time, I saw his results improve. I thought to myself 'if he could do it by just trying for long enough, then it must be possible to some extent.'


(This one from Ohio in 2006, stands out in my memory, as one of those moments that I was pleased with.)

When one of our tours had ended, he convinced me to stay on and follow him along on the Japanese Girls Night tour, to take photos. I think I found one through the entire tour of the west coast, that I found to be decent. And it was such a fluke!

(There she is, the Fluke)

A while later, while making a short visit to Orlando to see Ryan. He had gotten fancier equipment. An external flash.
He let me borrow it for the night, and i spent the next year or so, dreaming of owning one and refusing to ever use that stupid bulb on the top of my camera ever again.
On christmas morning, last year, I got the flash i wished for along side a bungee. 
To this day, I'm unsure of its settings. I constantly try to understand it, but I guess that why people pay for schooling in this field, eh?

I always had an interest in becoming a fashion photographer. That was dumb of me. Fashion photography seems to be all about good lighting, decent models, and a good asistant. When I actualy started to get into photography, it was more with the intention of documenting a moment. Not a standard pose. 

New Years of 2007, my boyfriend at the times, band played their first show and I naturally said that it HAD to be documented! This involved the flash that intimidated me so. I used the leash to block out the awkward crowd and setting. The photos came out almost too artistic. odd but good, i guess. Good enough to decide that there is no need to be intimidated by the flash. Good enough to no longer find boredom  in live photos.  Because the GOAL is to try create something worth looking at. Something beyond just the musician. The setting is important too. And i like to try and catch all the elements. 
Ryan has helped inspire me into doing a lot of things I would have given up on, otherwise. Live photos are a big part of this statement. 
Even though I took those photos that i was ok with in 2007, I had no desire to continue doing this area of photography. 
But at the end of 2008, he called me up and helped me score some of the biggest photo jobs I've gotten yet! It involved shooting live music exclusively! It was an opportunity that i couldn't just PASS on because of my own personal feelings on my photos. Instead I went out and have been testing myself by shooting live music while trying to keep a very human element in it. 

As soon as i started this music thing, I had to have a sit-down with my flash. I had to be stern. Tell it there was no more fucking around. I told my flash that she was a beautiful and unique snowflake. A bulb of a different color, and that she should start showing it. 
And I think she listened, because last weekend, I took photos of Acid Tiger and Valient Thorr, and when i got them onto my computer to start editing, there was some crazy shit happening due to the flash going wild.

I'm enjoying the tests of double exposure. I'm enjoying the strictness in meeting deadlines. I'm enjoying what I want to do with my life, no matter what it takes. Because I always seem to surprise myself as soon as I stop giving up.





No comments:

About Me

My photo
Likes to hate things like: The color pink, My Little Pony, ambient music, Coca-Cola products, high waisted everything, cats...all of them, bananas, most female singers, Adult Swim humor, chopping onions, bad parking jobs, sentences that start with 'i had this crazy dream', shimmery makeup, unmade beds, cursive fonts, bleached hair on the crown of black hair, Palin, those strappy jesus shoes, Mac 'genius' bar, responding to my cell phone

Blog Archive